The Programme Analyst on Population and Development position is located in UNFPA North Macedonia Country Office (CO) and reports to the UNFPA Head of Office. The Programme Analyst will lead the population and development portfolio, focusing on migration, ageing and population dynamics, including data and policy development. This will be achieved through wide consultations within the office, offices of the region and the main partners of UNFPA in the country analysis of relevant political, social and economic developments.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the leading UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s strategic plan focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
Working within the Country Office (CO) environment, you will support the effective management of UNFPA activities in the areas of population and development, and data on sexual and reproductive health, youth, ageing and gender. Through analysis and assessment of political, social and economic trends, you will contribute to project formulation and evaluation, joint programming initiatives and national development frameworks.
You will assist in monitoring results achieved during implementation with programme/project implementation by using and developing appropriate mechanisms and systems and ensuring compliance with established procedures, as well as by monitoring results achieved during implementation. The Programme Analyst will maintain collaborative relationships within UNFPA, at all levels, as well as with partners, such as UN agencies in the country; national partners, including government agencies, international CSOs, experts, academia, private sector, professional associations, etc.; donors, etc.
- Participating in the formulation of the country programme and component projects, by compiling and analyzing information relevant to the UNFPA’s role in the country, drafting project documents and work plans; and preparing tables and statistical data.
- Evaluating project and programme activities, establishing and implementing mechanisms to systematically assess achievement of results; recommending corrective action, as required and following up on recommendations;; conducting field visits; participating in review meetings and evaluation missions and preparing regular inputs to status and progress reports.
- Analyzing and interpreting the political, social and economic environment relevant to UNFPA activities and population and development and identifying opportunities for UNFPA assistance and intervention.
- Helping the country office to create and document knowledge by synthesizing findings and lessons learned, success stories and best practices, strategies and approaches, about current and emerging trends in the country environment with regard to population dynamics and data issues.
- Keeping abreast of policy developments in the region, analysing policy papers, strategy documents and national development plans; preparing briefs and inputs for policy dialogue, technical assistance coordination, and development frameworks.
- Establishing collaborative relationships with executing agencies, experts, government counterparts and other UN agencies to facilitate timely and efficient delivery of project inputs.
- Leading the implementation of the UNFPA component on Big Data within a joint project addressing Migration in the country, and regular coordination with a team of national technical experts and international partners, as well as other UN agencies in the country.
- Coordinating and contributing to regional-level interventions in the field of population and development, in close cooperation with senior UNFPA advisors / experts.
- Assisting in advocacy and resource mobilisation efforts of the CO, by establishing and maintaining a network of donor and public information contacts. Assisting with organising and conducting of donor meetings and public information events, including preparing relevant background material for these events.
Qualifications and Experience
Bachelor University Degree in economics, business administration, demography, population studies, statistics, social science and/or other related social science disciplines.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Up to two years professional experience in the field of development and population activities, such as census, statistics, migration, etc.
- Experience in programme/ project management is desirable.
- Practical experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development programs/projects.
- Experience using office software packages (such as i.e. SPSS and Stata) and web-based management systems.
Language proficiency in both written and oral English and Macedonian. Knowledge of other local languages shall be considered an asset.
Compensation and Benefits:
This position offers an attractive remuneration package including a competitive net salary plus health insurance and other benefits as applicable.
UNFPA does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Fraudulent notices, letters or offers may be submitted to the UNFPA fraud hotline http://www.unfpa.org/help/hotline.cfm
Please apply on the following link: