I. Overall purpose of the assignment
The Communications Officer will support the two GIZ Regional Projects, 1) Social Rights for Vulnerable Groups and 2) Preventing and Combatting Trafficking in Human Beings in the Western Balkans, (hereinafter referred to as the ‘Projects’), in their (internal and external) communication and knowledge management activities. The Communications Officer is responsible for developing and distributing information to promote the work of the projects, in close cooperation with the colleagues and project partners, and in line with GIZ’s communication policies and procedures. This position also includes the responsibility for knowledge management, mainly by disseminating and documenting know-how, experience and information.
II. Main tasks and responsibilities:
a. Strategic Communications
– Promoting projects’ objectives through accompanying communications measures, in close cooperation with the colleagues (thematic advisors) and project partners;
– Developing and refining a strategy with the main project partners for the internal and external communications activities of the projects, and systematically planning communications activities based on this strategy;
– Coordinating and, where applicable, monitoring communications activities (for, among other things, quality of content and form, quantity and effectiveness).
b. Corporate Communications (coordination with GIZ Country Offices and HQ)
– Regularly sharing information and cooperating closely with the Communications Officers at the relevant GIZ offices and with the project partners;
– Supporting the Communications Officers in the GIZ offices in the countries where the project is active through drafting posts for social media and writing articles for internal GIZ channels.
– In consultation with the project partners, supporting Corporate Communications (e.g. discussing practical examples, planning and organising trips for journalists).
– Responding to requests from GIZ HQ, Country Director(s) or BMZ for submitting success stories and other requests related to the adequate representation of the project.
c. Media Relations of the Projects
– establishing and maintaining contact to national (and regional) media;
– producing and distributing press releases;
– preparing news/posts for social media;
– compiling press information packs (general and specific) and systematically distributing them to the target groups;
– compiling a media review (documentation and analysis of media reports).
d. Public Relations (PR) of the Projects
– In cooperation with the project partners: developing and refining suitable PR instruments (e.g. brochures, fact sheets)
– Preparing articles for the local GIZ country brochures, GIZ website, GIZ magazines, etc.
– Managing the design/production of publications and materials
– Organising national media events and tours; looking after foreign delegations and VIP visitors
– Managing and maintaining the programme/project website.
e. Internal communication within the Projects
– Providing information and supporting the dialogue between the project staff and the GIZ office and, where appropriate, integrated experts in the same sector
– Providing information and supporting the dialogue between the different staff groups
– Developing and managing specific communication tools for the programme/project (e.g. info-mails, staff newsletters, internal events).
– Supporting the introduction and usage of digital communications tools/ platforms (MS Teams, IDA)
f. Knowledge Management
– Supporting the project knowledge management (e.g. by filing in DMS)
– Documenting the project’s achievements (factsheets, presentations, etc.)
– Processing information and good practices for using in publications, e.g., collect good examples from the country coordinators/advisors in all countries; taking and/or selecting photos of good quality
– Compiling project outputs and experiences in appropriate way (DMS, IDA, Intranet, website)
– Participating in internal and external meetings and workshops and assists with documenting, e.g. taking minutes.
III. Required qualifications, competences and experience
– University degree in the field of Communication, Public Relations, Journalism, Marketing, or related discipline that is relevant to accomplish the tasks;
– At least 5 years of professional experience in the field of communications, public relations and knowledge management;
– Experience of working in an international context, in the relevant project areas, would be an asset;
– Editorial experience, experience in writing articles and press releases (evidenced e.g. by work samples);
– Experience with media production;
– Knowledge of DTP or graphics applications – basic knowledge of Adobe Illustrator and/or Photoshop is an asset;
Other knowledge, skills and additional competences
– Very good working knowledge of ITC technologies and computer applications
– Strongly developed social and intercultural competences
– Strong networking and communication skills
– Fluency in English
– Knowledge of Serbian/Croatian, Albanian and/or German would be an asset
How to apply:
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their electronic application in English language consisting of a Letter of Motivation, CV with detailed description of your professional experience and education and copies of supporting documents (university degree(s), reference letters and certificates) to [email protected].
Only selected applicants will be invited to an interview following the evaluation of application letters and CVs, after 16th of August 2021. Candidates who have not been contacted should consider that there will be no follow-up to their application.
Subject of the email: REF: Job Application – PaCT and SoRi II Communications Officer
Deadline for the application: 13 August 2021