Position: Program Assistant
Duration: 6 months
Hours: 25 – 36 hours per week
Position Summary: The National Democratic Institute (NDI) office in North Macedonia, in partnership with the Faculty of Law Iustinianus Primus and the University Student Assembly at the Ss. Cyril and Methodius University in Skopje, is seeking to engage students for the position of Program Assistant. This position is open in accordance with the Law on Volunteers and the selected candidate will be responsible to support the implementation of specific program activities. The selected candidate will receive a monthly allowance to cover lunch and travel expenses.
The National Democratic Institute is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization working to support and strengthen democratic institutions worldwide through citizen participation, openness and accountability in government. Since 1993 NDI has worked in North Macedonia with parliament, government, office of the president, political parties and civil society, and developed and implemented innovative, relevant and sustainable programs that thrive on partnership and teamwork. The Institute’s programs in North Macedonia are currently funded by the National Endowment for Democracy (NED), the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC), and the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (SIDA), and the United States Department of State.
Program Assistant Responsibilities:
- Providing general office and administrative support such as, but not limited to, creating and maintaining both paper and electronic files; organizing documents; scanning documents; updating and producing forms and documents
- Supporting Institute’s correspondence; translating documents and providing interpretation during meetings in English, Macedonian, and/or Albanian when needed; making phone calls to local counterparts, organizations, or contacts as requested
Assisting programs with background research and data related to programming, training, and/or operations
- Supporting the development of project concepts and proposals, if necessary; ● Providing technical assistance for meetings, consultations and workshops, and developing learning materials, as needed, to ensure high quality of training and enriching exchanges for participants;
- Collaborating with NDI colleagues and following global trends in relevant program areas.
- Currently enrolled in the final year of undergraduate studies, or enrolled in a Master or PhD program at the Faculty of Law Iustinianus Primus in Skopje;
- General interest in and knowledge of the domestic politics and the Macedonian political system;
- Ability to work in a diverse working environment, with individuals from different social, gender, ethnic, age, political and other backgrounds.
- Proficient IT skills and specifically Google Workspace or other online collaboration tools;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and Macedonian are essential; knowledge of Albanian language is desirable;
- Exceptional interpersonal skills to effectively cooperate with NDI colleagues and project partners;
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously and meet deadlines;
- Ability to support the implementation of projects impartially and financially responsibly;
- Ability to support the organization of in-person and online training is desirable;
- Knowledge of preparing social media content is desirable.
How to apply:
Submit the following documents to [email protected] by November 25, 2022
1. Letter of Interest in English
- Resume or CV in English
Only short-listed candidates will be invited for an interview.